January 29, 2011
Vision and Purpose: Vital to Church Growth
In Matthew 16:18, the Lord Jesus said, “…I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” I believe it is the Lord’s will to grow and increase His Church in 2011 but we too have a part to play. We must be sold out to the plans, purpose, and vision the Lord has for us. We must have the Lord’s vision and believe that through our obedience to that vision the Lord will work with us and grow His Church.
Everything starts with the revelation of God’s vision. Proverbs 29:18 says, “Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.” Vision and purpose are vital to Church growth. I want to give you four keys the Lord has given me to renew in myself so the Lord can work with and through me to build His Church in 2011.
1. No vision, people perish and leave your Church.
2. If your Church is at a plateau, declining or discouraged, your most important task is to redefine your vision and purpose.
Nothing will revitalize a discouraged church faster than rediscovering its purpose.
Ingredients for a growing, healthy Church:
- You must have a clear-cut identity.
- You must know and understand your reason for being.
- You must be precise in your purpose.
- You must know exactly what God has called you to do.
- You must be able to effectively communicate the vision to the people.
In Nehemiah 4:6-15 the wall was completed in 52 days. The people became discouraged at the halfway point. Nehemiah renewed the vision by recognizing the project and rallying the people back to work.
We must keep the vision and purpose before the people on a consistent basis. Don’t get caught up in fighting battles and forget to preach and communicate your vision and purpose for being there.
3. God told the prophet to write down the vision so people could know it. Habakkuk 2:2-4
If asked, could you write down your ministry vision and communicate it to the people? If you can’t do this, you have found your problem.
4. Things the Lord has instructed me to do to revitalize this ministry.
- Rediscover the vision God has for New Life Church.
- Receive the revelation of the Church’s purpose and then set in motion the process of bringing it to pass.
- Begin to communicate the vision and purpose to the Church. (A little at a time.)
- Retrain the leadership of the Church.
- Reorganize and set in motion Team Ministry concept.
- Retrain my leadership skills to equal my ministry skills.
Let us rediscover our vision and purpose, and then with passion stir our Churches to fulfill what God has called us to do. I believe it is the Lord’s will to build and grow His Church in 2011.